Monday, October 8, 2007

my D.B.A.T.B. reflection

My reflection on The Diving Bell and the Butterfly is a positive one. I thought that the book was very detailed and told really what happened to Bauby. All the details in The Diving Bell and the Butterfly really explained to the reader what Bauby was going through and how he overcame the hard times of being locked in. Bauby told the readers about how he would day dream back to when he was not locked in and explain all the exciting times he had experience with his family and friends. He also explained in depth all the day dreams he had that were not real and that he had randomly thought up himself with just one inspiration in mind. The inspirations were simply a photograph, a statue in the hospital or even something Bauby watched on the television. There were some times in the book when it was hard to follow. When it explained Bauby dreaming and then jumped back to reality, in the hospital, it confused me a little on whether or not the hospital part was part of the dream. I was also a little confused on when it explained Bauby out on the shore of the beach. It was a little challenging to determine whether or not that was part of his dream or reality, as well. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly was a very interesting book to me and I very much enjoyed it. Bauby explained his never ending fight to survive as long as he could with his locked in syndrome. Bauby really did not realize what he had until it was gone from his life. It really teaches the reader to live to your fullest because you never know what is going to happen tomorrow. I think that that was one of The Diving Bell and the Butterfly’s main ideas and that it why I enjoyed it so much.

No comments: